Home > Travelling with Kids > Coping With a Car Accident Abroad

Coping With a Car Accident Abroad

By: Beth Morrisey MLIS - Updated: 27 Dec 2012 | comments*Discuss
Car Vehicle Accident Abroad Country

Driving abroad can be a stressful activity, made more so if you find yourself involved in a car accident. Understanding how best to prepare for safe driving abroad, cope at the scene of a car accident abroad and make a claim after a car accident abroad should help you feel more confident about driving in other countries.

Preparing for a Safe Drive Abroad

Once you decide that you will be driving abroad, begin preparing before you ever leave home. Make sure that you have your driving licence as well as an International Drivers Permit, available from the AA and the Post Office. If you plan on bringing your own car then make sure to pack all pertinent car insurance documents as well as a "Green Card" or International Certificate of Motor Insurance confirming at least third party insurance if you are travelling in Europe. Your insurance company may also be able to provide you with a European Accident Statement (EAS) form to keep with you as you travel.

Having your vehicle serviced, packing a spare set of car keys and bringing first aid and emergency supplies are good ideas as well. Finally, familiarise yourself with local driving laws, road conditions and travel routes in the country to which you are travelling and copy down the contact information for your insurance or breakdown cover helpline should you need them.

If you are renting a car, select a make and model with which you are familiar and look over your insurance options prior to leaving home.

Coping At The Scene Of A Car Accident Abroad

If you are involved in a car accident abroad, regardless of whether your are at fault, a driver or a passenger, do not leave the scene of the accident. Stay calm and check to see if anyone is in need of emergency medical assistance. Call the local police and/or emergency services and request an English speaking representative, if needed. Contact your own motor insurance company for further instructions. Write down the make, model, colour and registration plate information of the other vehicles involved in the accident. Take down the names and contact information of others involved in the accident or any witnesses. If your accident occurs in Europe, fill out and sign the European Accident Statement when you are certain of what this legally binding document says. If you were driving a rental car, contact the rental agency and find out if there are any specific instructions you must follow. Only leave the scene of the accident when told you are allowed to do so.

Making A Claim After a Car Accident Abroad

The 4th and 5th European Union Motor Insurance Directives have made it significantly easier to claim for personal injury compensation following a car accident in a European Economic Area (EEA) state. Even if an accident occurred outside of the EEA, a British solicitor may still be able to make a claim for you. If you are interested in making a claim direct to your motor insurance company then contact them directly for further information. Otherwise, contact a solicitor to find out more about what and when you can act to make a claim after a car accident abroad.

Hopefully this is a situation you will never find yourself in, but it pays to be prepared anyway before you decide to drive abroad.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Scotinfrance
    Re: French Speed Limits
    With respect, you need to distinguish between Britain and England. English drink drive law is 80mg/100ml but in Scotland it is the same as…
    10 February 2018
  • Viking
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    this information is incorrect as Scotland has lower alcohol limit than rest of UK
    18 November 2017
  • Stomp
    Re: French Speed Limits
    Lost my licence . French coppers hidden, on private land just before end of sign for village. After a long time stuck behind a swaying french…
    11 October 2017
  • tim
    Re: French Speed Limits
    I just got hit with 4 speeding fines from our holiday this summer! I drive in France every year and this was a real shock. All under 10% over…
    6 October 2017
  • Richy
    Re: French Speed Limits
    Hey, first of all, sorry for my bad English. I just received a fine because I cross the speed limit with 1km/h. Really 1 km/h an it cost me…
    16 September 2017
  • Pete
    Re: Car Seat Safety for Baby and Child
    Is it legal for a 6 year old child to sit in front in a correct booster seat when travelling in France and Spain by car ?
    19 August 2016
  • bramhall
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    You cannot have a scientific test for zero alcohol. That implies a calibrated measuring device which is accurate to more…
    13 August 2016
  • SafeTravel
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    John - Your Question:I flew from Heathrow to Frankfurt today 06/05/2016. I had a glass of wine at the airport lounge in Heathrow…
    9 May 2016
  • John
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    I flew from Heathrow to Frankfurt today 06/05/2016. I had a glass of wine at the airport lounge in Heathrow but nothing after…
    6 May 2016
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the SafeTravel website. Please read our Disclaimer.