Home > Medical & Health > Serious Accident or Injury Abroad

Serious Accident or Injury Abroad

By: Beth Morrisey MLIS - Updated: 28 Dec 2012 | comments*Discuss
Serious Accident Injury Emergency Abroad

Accidents happen everywhere, and every holiday destination comes with it's own risks to your health and safety. But of course these risks shouldn't put you off travel all together. Instead, you can do a great deal to prepare for emergency circumstances as well as planning for how to cope when faced with a serious accident or injury.

Preparing for Emergency Circumstances Abroad

  • A free European Health Insurance Card will ensure that you can access state-provided medical care while in the European Union.
  • Private health insurance and travel insurance will help protect you from large bills for medical care or travel-related expenses should there be unexpected circumstances on your trip.
  • Leave a copy of your passport, travel itinerary and financial accounts at home to allow others to help you in the event of an emergency.
  • Check travel advice issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to help you avoid areas with known risks.

If you are greatly concerned about the medical care you could receive in the event of an injury abroad you can also check the NHS' country guides, as well as keeping copies of your current doctors/prescriptions ready should you need them faxed to you.Packing a good supply of prescription medications and a small first aid kit should also allow you to feel more confident.

Coping In the Event of An Accident Or Injury Abroad

If are injured while abroad, remain calm. Call local emergency medical personnel and request an English-speaking representative or translator if required. If your private medical or travel insurance offers a helpline you might call them for advice as well, and if your accident or injury warrants government involvement then contact the closest embassy or consulate.

Travel with:

  • Contact information for the government embassy
  • Your passport details
  • Insurance details and contact numbers
  • Contact numbers for a friend or relative who can help out if needed
  • Details of the names of any prescription medicines you take
  • A small first aid kit

Keep a record of all actions taken following an accident or injury, as well as all reports and receipts related to the events.

Pursuing A Claim Regarding An Accident or Injury Abroad

Depending upon the circumstances and nature of an accident or injury suffered while abroad you might be able to claim compensation in respect of medical care, rehabilitation, lost wages, distress or on-going support services. If you want to pursue a claim, keep copies of every report and receipt related to the emergency abroad. Keep all insurance documents and details of communications you have had with organisations at home or abroad relating to the incident. Many solicitors offer legal services related to accidents or injuries abroad, so seek professional advice about your specific case.

There is no way to guarantee an accident or injury-free trip, but you can think about how you would react to a serious accident or injury abroad before you ever leave home. Take steps to prepare for an emergency, think through how you would cope when faced with a serious incident and get organised in case you wish to pursue a claim.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Scotinfrance
    Re: French Speed Limits
    With respect, you need to distinguish between Britain and England. English drink drive law is 80mg/100ml but in Scotland it is the same as…
    10 February 2018
  • Viking
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    this information is incorrect as Scotland has lower alcohol limit than rest of UK
    18 November 2017
  • Stomp
    Re: French Speed Limits
    Lost my licence . French coppers hidden, on private land just before end of sign for village. After a long time stuck behind a swaying french…
    11 October 2017
  • tim
    Re: French Speed Limits
    I just got hit with 4 speeding fines from our holiday this summer! I drive in France every year and this was a real shock. All under 10% over…
    6 October 2017
  • Richy
    Re: French Speed Limits
    Hey, first of all, sorry for my bad English. I just received a fine because I cross the speed limit with 1km/h. Really 1 km/h an it cost me…
    16 September 2017
  • Pete
    Re: Car Seat Safety for Baby and Child
    Is it legal for a 6 year old child to sit in front in a correct booster seat when travelling in France and Spain by car ?
    19 August 2016
  • bramhall
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    You cannot have a scientific test for zero alcohol. That implies a calibrated measuring device which is accurate to more…
    13 August 2016
  • SafeTravel
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    John - Your Question:I flew from Heathrow to Frankfurt today 06/05/2016. I had a glass of wine at the airport lounge in Heathrow…
    9 May 2016
  • John
    Re: Drink Driving Limits in Europe
    I flew from Heathrow to Frankfurt today 06/05/2016. I had a glass of wine at the airport lounge in Heathrow but nothing after…
    6 May 2016
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the SafeTravel website. Please read our Disclaimer.