Home > Car & Caravan > The Most Dangerous Countries to Drive In

The Most Dangerous Countries to Drive In

By: Tracy Wilkinson - Updated: 18 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
 
Dangerous Countries Travelling Abroad

If you’re thinking of travelling abroad, then you might be interested in finding out which countries are the worst for driving in. Depending on those you think are the most dangerous, the reality may well surprise you. The following is a list of the most dangerous countries to drive in, compiled by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) and based on:

  • a) deaths per million inhabitants
  • b) deaths per year for every million vehicles

The Top Ten Most Dangerous Countries to Drive in

The list starts at number 10 with the least dangerous of the finalists and working down to the ones you, as a driver, really want to avoid at all costs. So before you start, where in the list do you think the United Kingdom comes in?

  1. Belgium - 100 deaths per year for every million inhabitants.168 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  2. Czech Republic - 118 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 235 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  3. United States of America - 136 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 163 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  4. Greece - 121 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 226 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  5. Korea - 127 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 317 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  6. Hungary - 123 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 347 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  7. Turkey - 68 deaths per year for every million inhabitants - 594 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  8. Poland - 147 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 310 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  9. Slovakia - 122 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 426 deaths per year for every million vehicles
  10. Russia - 235 deaths per year for every million inhabitants. 939 deaths per year for every million vehicles

United Kingdom

So despite what you might think about the UK’s roads and RTAs, Britain doesn’t make it into the top ten and in fact is consistently proven to be one of the safest countries in the world to drive in – alongside Sweden and The Netherlands.

The fact that the UK has such safe roads is partially due to the excellent road network and conditions, the high levels of policing and speed management (though this point is always hotly debated!) and of course the stringent tests that drivers in Great Britain have to pass before being allowed onto the road.

So why is Russia so bad?

Although Russian drivers also have to pass extensive examinations to earn their driving licences, it seems that there is a world of difference between what a Russian can expect to learn about the road while preparing for a test and what they actually find out there when they pass. With around only 10% of their accidents being blamed on drunk-drivers, the other 90% seem to come from a combination of bad driving, terrible road conditions (in some areas it seems that the white lines that we expect to separate the lanes on a major road are worn away or completely missing) and a lack of policing.

The Government Auto Inspection (or GAI) the Russian version of the Transport Police does attempt to enforce regulations but has to do so with a small budget and old vehicles which makes it almost impossible. So until more money is given to the GAI it seems that Russia will continue to dominate the list of countries to avoid driving in if you want to come home in one piece.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

Title:
(never shown)
Firstname:
(never shown)
Surname:
(never shown)
Email:
(never shown)
Nickname:
(shown)
Comment:
Validate:
Enter word:
Topics
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the SafeTravel website. Please read our Disclaimer.